Your mum’s bought you your first ever set of pots and pans, you’ve finally sorted your student loan and you’ve had your last night out with your schoolmates – you’re officially on your way to university.
Your first week in university – or Freshers Week – will be filled with meeting new people, playing every single drinking game ever created and witnessing some of the most impressive feats of fancy dress you’ll see all year.
And while the most important thing is to have fun and make new friends, you should also remember to look after yourself (trust us, Freshers Flu is a real thing).
We’ve put together some of the best health and beauty tips and tricks, so that your skin can survive freshers week - from simple skincare to affordable beauty products that will have you looking gorgeous in no time at all, we’ll help you look and feel your best all week.
1. Design your party look First things first - you’ll be going on a lot of nights out and will probably be attending lots of parties. This means cultivating a makeup look that’s as individual and exciting as you are. The Marco By Design Complete Palette contains gorgeous eyeshadows, several different highlighters and brow definer to take your look to the next level.
Add a playful colour pop to your look with this set of three pigment-rich, Matte lipsticks from NYX, made to make you stand out.
2. Sort your Hangover Makeup 9 am lectures and freshers week parties mix about as well as vodka and orange cordial (which you may have consumed the night before). If you have to be up bright and early but you’re not exactly feeling your best, the right kind of makeup is going to be your best friend.
This Sunkissed Beautiful Bronze Beauty On The Go! kit is perfect for those early mornings. The very affordable kit includes an award-winning Perfect Primer, Intense Colour lip crayon in Hot Coral and Big Lash mascara, along with 4 beautiful eye shades and a Kohl liner. You’ll look like you’ve had your full eight hours of sleep (even if you’ve only had 8 minutes).
3. Take your makeup off Now that you have your makeup sorted, you need to remember to take it off each night (no matter how drunk you get), or you’ll be prone to breakouts and blemishes - never a good look.
Before you go out, leave a pack of Nuage Make-Up Removal Wipes With Aloe Vera on the side of your bed - they’re great for removing even the stubbornest of makeup if you’re not feeling 100%. If you have a little more time, use a gentle exfoliating wash like Witch Gentle Exfoliating Face Wash every morning and evening when you wash your face.
4. Brush Your Teeth! If you want to lead with a smile then dental care is of the utmost importance. To make sure your smile is always looking tip-top, add a mouthwash to your routine such as the iWHITE Instant Teeth Whitening Mouthwash. The triple-action whitening technology will strengthen and remineralise your teeth, and leave them with a pearly shine. If you want to splash out then why not invest in the Cougar Ultimate Teeth Whitening Trio Set? The 30ml Post Treatment Rinse, 50ml Peppermint Extreme Whitening Gel & Bamboo Toothbrush will help to absorb plaque, reduce stains and leave your teeth with that thoroughly clean feeling.
5. Stay Hydrated Your mum might not be around to tell you any more, but try to get your eight glasses of water every day. Bring a reusable bottle in your bag with you daily, and try and break up each alcoholic drink with a glass of water.
You should also remember to keep your skin hydrated, and some of the best moisturisers out there are the most affordable. Use Derma V10 Q10 Innovations Day Cream every morning to moisturise, tone and protect the skin against the damaging effects of everyday life. Each night, apply Simple Vital Vitamin Night Cream to help restore and replenish skin throughout the night (no matter what you’ve been up to!).
6. Eat right Try to avoid the cliché freshers’ diet of pizzas, burgers and kebabs during your first week. Now that you’re cooking for yourself, stock up on cheap vegetables from supermarkets and try to avoid heavily processed food.
If you feel like you might be missing out on some key vitamins and minerals, incorporate Nature's Answer Calcium & Magnesium Liquid Supplement and Source Naturals Wellness Formula 45 Tablets which have been designed to aid a balanced diet to keep you looking and feeling great.
7. Smell good! Freshers is all about making your mark and one of the best ways to do this is with the perfect perfume. During the daytime, choose a fresh and flirty scent like Nino Cerruti 1881 or Marc Jacobs Daisy Twinkle Eau de Toilette to brighten anyone's day.
Liven things up a bit in the nighttime with exciting and daring scents. Agent Provocateur Eau de Parfum Purse Spray is an exotic blend of Saffron, Coriander, Moroccan Rose, Jasmine, French Magnolia, Amber and Musk - and the perfect size to pop into your bag on a night out.
So, whether you spend your Freshers week dressed in a dragon onesie or your hottest outfit, make sure you follow our top tips to look and feel amazing all week.