We all know how relaxing a good spa day can be – the calming music, luxurious treatments and fluffy robes can soothe even the most stressed among us. But the best spa days come with a pretty hefty price tag.
Well, good news! Pampering at home can be just as relaxing as in the spa for a fraction of the price. Pamper days are great for your wellbeing and mental health, and what's more, they're a great treat for your skin and can help to boost confidence.
Follow our step-by-step process for a perfect home pamper session.
1. Set the mood, and relax The main point of a home pamper is to relax and unwind, so it's important to set the mood and get yourself into the proper headspace.
Find a relaxing playlist, put on your comfiest pyjamas and dim the lights. We also recommend lighting some scented candles, which are designed to help you unwind. Enjoy the soothing crackle, and the dreamy scent of WoodWick Hearthwick Candle Warm Wool, which is sure to melt your worries away, or light the Abahna Narcissus & Wild Iris Scented Candle Tin to encourage peace and positivity.
If you prefer using room diffusers to set the mood, Cristalinas Fresh Ocean Breeze Reed Diffuser will cast the scent of wildflowers around your bedroom and transport you to the ocean’s edge on a warm summer's night.
2. Treat yourself to a facial Stress can be lead to breakouts, blemishes, or skin that looks dull and tired. A facial is a perfect remedy to this, and DIY is not only cheaper but just as effective as a professional spa treatment.
Look at our guide to how to do a professional facial at home for some great home facial tips to help you de-stress and get your skin looking bright, and feeling soft and healthy.
If you don’t have time for a full facial, treat yourself to a face mask to help banish those blemishes and brighten up your skin. Derma V10 Clay Mask Brightening helps to exfoliate your skin leaving it soft, and the added red algae and vitamin E encourages brightness.
For something a little more intense, try Purederm Deep Purifying O2 Bubble Sheet Mask Charcoal, which removes toxins and dead skin cells to brighten your skin tone and cleanse. This mask also absorbs excess sebum, making it the perfect treatment for those with oily skin.
3. Smooth on a hair mask Our hair can sometimes need a little TLC aside from the regular washing and conditioning routine. The effects of heat styling and the environment can cause ends to dry out and split – not what we want! It's essential that you take some time to look after your locks if you're going to keep up the silky shine. A pair of courts is always a good option, but if you’re bored of plain nude court heels to go with every outfit, metallic is the way to go.
Giovanni 2chic Ultra Moist Hair Mask is the perfect treat for dry, style-damaged hair. This mask is packed full of essential fatty acids and revitalising vitamins and delivers intense nourishment. For even more of a treat, try Kerastase Chronologiste Creme De Regeneration Balm, which is world renowned for its restorative powers. Your locks will be shining and bouncy no matter what your hair type.
If you’re looking for even more ways to strengthen your hair, check out our guide on the best oils for hair.
4. Relax in the Bath The pace of the modern world means most of us are choosing quick showers over relaxing baths. But as evening approaches, there's no better way of hitting reset than from the comfort of a warm bath. A few drops of the Sanctuary Spa Concentrated Bath Relaxer Bath Oil will transform your bath water into a tension releasing, full-body treatment. Alternatively, Lola's Apothecary Sweet Lullaby Soothing Bath & Shower Oil will help create the perfect setting for a spot of you-time after busy day.
If you don't have a bathtub, a foot scrub and massage will hit the spot just as well. A little Isla Apothecary Lemongrass & Rosemary Foot Scrub can help to ease sore and tired feet, whilst the cleansing properties of Newtons Anti-bacterial Polishing Foot Scrub will keep the soles of your feet feeling as perfect as the rest of you.
5. Do what you like! When you've finished with your DIY treatments, dedicate some time to indulge in your favourite book, or film or hobby. This is your leisure time – your problems can wait. It's important to recharge your batteries so you feel rested and mentally prepared to take on whatever tomorrow might bring. Don't forget; you're better placed to take care of others if you've already taken care of yourself.
Now that you’re relaxed and de-stressed, check out our list of the best scented candles on the market to help you keep up the tranquility. If you’re short on time but want to keep your skin glowing the morning after a pamper session, our 15-minute morning skincare routine is just for you.