From Rapunzel to Sofia Vergara – long hair has always been in style. But if you once decided to take the plunge and get a pixie cut, or you’ve been rocking the mid-length look for what feels like a lifetime, you might feel like long, luscious hair is a distant dream.
Well, if we want to get into the science side of it. Your hair grows by about a half-inch per month on average. This adds up to six inches of growth per year, but can vary according to age, hair type and your overall health. Six inches is actually a lot more than you might think – so long hair is not out of your grasp!
However, if you can’t wait that long for your princess hair, there are certain products, vitamins and tablets you can use to stimulate hair growth and help you get longer hair even faster.
1. Hair Growth Hair Care Products
Unfortunately, there’s no magic product that will help your hair grow inches overnight. You should keep your hair in tip-top condition to help it grow faster, which means keeping it moisturised, getting it trimmed regularly and cutting down on heat styling as much as possible.
The type of shampoo and conditioner you choose can influence the health of your hair, and therefore the speed of its growth. We’ve picked out some of the best products you can use in your day-to-day styling to help your hair grow as fast as possible. It’s perfect for both those looking to grow their hair long or those who have thin hair and want to get it looking more voluminous.
• Watermans Grow Me Shampoo This shampoo has been specifically created for those who want thick and strong hair, and can help you grow your hair faster than ever before! It revitalises hair growth by strengthening hair follicles and improves scalp circulation, increases hair density and repairs scalp damage.
• Watermans Condition Me Conditioner This conditioner softens and moisturises hair, whilst helping to protect, repair and revitalise. It’s the perfect accompaniment to the Watermans Shampoo and is one of our best-selling products!
• Natural World Brazilian Keratin Shampoo This shampoo is infused with intelligent bio-mimetic keratin, which mimics the proteins found in your hairs natural composition and provides targeted repair for your hair’s most damaged areas. This helps to stimulate growth and leaves you with dazzling softness and shine.
• Tigi Bed Head Urban Antidotes Resurrection Twin Both products in this twin set are designed to help all hair types become the best they can be. When used together, expect soft, shiny, bouncy hair and increased speed of growth!
2. Hair Growth Oil and Masks Once you have your day-to-day styling down, to keep your hair in tip-top condition you also need to treat it to a hair growth oil or mask treatment at least once and week.
This will prevent the hair from breaking and protect it against any kind of environmental factors that might slow down growth.
• Foltene Treatment for Hair and Scalp Foltene Treatment for Hair and Scalp has been created with a special combination of stimulating nutrients, vitamins and natural extracts to help provide you with the best treatment for strong and healthy hair. The formula gentle and natural, and helps to promote hair growth and prevent hair from early ageing.
• Label M Therapy Age Defying Recovery Mask This mask will leave your hair looking strong, radiant and youthful. It restores, replenishes and rejuvenates your hair and helps hair growth if used regularly – just let the Rejuven-8 complex work it’s magic!
• Natural World Macadamia Oil Nourishing Treatment Oil Hair oil is the best treatment for you if you have dry, brittle hair that you want to grow as quickly as possible. Enriched with macadamia oil, this treatment is easily absorbed and will help to prevent breakage while nourishing the hair.
3. Hair Growth Vitamins & Supplements It’s not just what you put on your hair that helps your hair grow faster, there are several vitamins and supplements that can help with hair growth.
Vitamin A, B- Vitamins, Iron, Zinc and Protein are all important factors in hair growth. You can get these from your diet, but sometimes you might need a little helping hand from multivitamins and supplements.
• Nature's Answer Vitamin B-12 Liquid Supplement This B-12 supplement has a range of health benefits as it enhances delivery of nutrients to the body. This can help with long term hair growth.
• JR Beauty Protein Styling Gel This styling gel is infused with protein, so it not only keeps your hair in perfect shape, it also gives it some additional protein that can help with growth. This gel works best on very curly hair, and keeps it looking and feeling healthy.
• Neocell Super Collagen +C The collagen we produce naturally has a huge effect on the condition of our skin, nails, and hair. As we age, the amount of collagen we produce decreases. These tablets help with the intake of collagen and can therefore lead to stronger and longer hair.
4. Foods that Help Hair Growth You might be use all the right products and looking after your hair perfectly, but your hair may still struggle to grow if your diet is not right. There are certain foods which contain the right nutrients, proteins and beneficial compounds for fast-growing hair:
• Eggs – packed with protein and biotin • Fatty Fish – excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids • Avocados – vitamin E • Nuts – vitamin E • Berries – beneficial compounds and vitamins
If you look after your hair, get your split ends trimmed regularly, eat a healthy and balanced diet and use the right kind of hair products, you should have hair that’s past your shoulders in no time! In the meantime, check out some cute and stylish heat-free hairstyles to help stay away from those straighteners, or find out what oils will work best for your hair if it needs a little extra TLC.