If you suffer or have suffered from acne, you might be familiar with the scars it can leave behind. Acne scars might be frustrating, but there’s no reason to feel self-conscious. There are several ways of dealing with scarring, from learning to cover it up like a pro to choosing products that can help reduce its appearance.
Interested? Read on for our top tips for dealing with acne scars and step out, feeling comfortable in your skin!
Treating acne scars
Acne scars don’t have to be forever. There are a couple of routes you can take to help reduce the appearance of scarring on your face, back, and chest. These include:
• Home remedies • Chemical peels • Injections of corticosteroids • Dermal fillers • Micro-needling • Dermabrasion • Laser treatment • Punch techniques
We recommend you try a couple of home remedies before you book in with the dermatologist. If your acne is persistent, however, you might want to consult with a professional before applying anything to your face.
Home remedies that have been used for acne scars include:
• Coconut oil • Argan oil • Rosehip seed oil • Bio-oil • Shea butter • Raw honey • Retinol cream
We can’t guarantee that any of these remedies will work for you, but there’s plenty of research to suggest that the application of oils and creams can aid skin’s healing process.
Just be careful when you’re applying oil to your skin; while it’s great for some people, it can cause more problems for people with naturally oily skin.
Covering acne scars with makeup
The easiest way to deal with acne scars quickly is by using makeup. There are loads of high-coverage foundations and concealers on the market that are great for covering up acne scars, so you can enjoy a flawless finish.
How to cover acne scars with makeup
The process of applying your makeup to cover acne scars is simple:
1. Wash and dry your face 2. Apply a good moisturiser all over your face and neck 3. Using a foundation brush, apply your full coverage foundation all over 4. Conceal under your eyes, and dab concealer onto any scarred areas you want to cover 5. Set your makeup with a translucent powder 6. Apply the rest of your makeup as normal
The best foundations for acne scars
For the best cover-up, choose a full-coverage foundation. Here are a few of our favourites:
1. Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation 2. Maybelline Superstay 24H Foundation 3. Revlon Colorstay 24H Normal/Dry Skin Pump Foundation 4. Artdeco Rich Treatment Foundation 5. bareMinerals BarePro Performance Wear Foundation 6. Revlon Colorstay 24H Combination/Oily Skin Foundation 7. Max Factor Panstik 8. L’Oreal Infallible Total Cover Foundation 9. bareMinerals Original Foundation 10. Sleek MakeUP Crème to Powder
The best concealers for acne scars
To cover up acne scars and achieve a smooth-looking finish, choose one of these full-coverage concealers:
1. Technic Colour Fix Full Coverage Concealer 2. Models Own Flawless Cream Concealer 3. Sleek MakeUP Lifeproof Concealer 4. bareMinerals BareSkin Stay-in-Place Liquid Concealer 5. Bourjois Radiance Reveal Concealer
Keep exploring the Fragrance Direct blog for more skincare and makeup advice, or head back to the main site and start browsing products to help manage your acne scars and get you feeling fantastic.