The new John Paul Gaultier Essence De Parfum has just launched, with updated scents for the ever popular Classique and Le Male. We wanted to see what the inspiration was behind the brand and what perfume means to the man himself; Jean Paul Gaultier.
1. What is Perfumery for you? What does its universe embody? Parfumerie is a bit like Aladdin's cave for me. There are so many elements, discoveries' I have been experimenting with new fragrances for more than 20 years now, pushing the limits in this fascinating field. There are endless possibilities.
2. Is there a link between Haute Couture and Perfume? Of course. Perfume is the first article of clothing it sets the pace of a look. And there is a vast savoir-faire in both fields. On both sides, there is a continual search for new shapes and new scent. And it is in this savoir-faire that both couture and perfume find their fulfilment.
3. What is most difficult when launching a perfume brand? The most difficult thing is probably staying true to one's own universe and to oneself. And to succeed in translating one's values and obsessions into perfume. It is only by being in this state of mind, and thanks to savoir-faire, that one can reconcile both universes.
4. Not all fashion houses have a savoir-faire in perfumery, why did you choose to embrace this domain? My DNA is to innovate and to be at odds with conventional ideal of beauty ' I always wanted to show more than one side of beauty. In my perfumes, I want to keep this irreverence and keep looking for a divergent beauty.
5. Once scent you like on other people? The smell of freshness.
6. One scent you do not like on yourself? A scent that would be too invasive.
7. An olfactory memory that transports you? The smell of rice powder in theatres. It reminds me of the magical world I discovered at 6, when my grandmother took me to a show at the Theatre du Chatelet. It was like breaking through an all-new world, full of magic and poetry.
8. A childhood smell? My grandmother's boudoir.
9. What are the necessary qualities to appreciate a perfume? A sense of surprise, an olfactive memory, like an image that appears in your head when you smell the perfume. I am a very visual person and scents trigger images in my head.
10. Do you think that women are more faithful to their men or to their perfume? It is a good thing to be faithful, but it is also good to change. To each their own.
11. One word to describe JPG Perfumes? Innovating, surprising, savoir-faire and punk attitude.
12. To whom is this beautifully designed body perfume addressed to? Bodies evolve and so do perfumes. After more than 20 years of existence, they needed a new body and new look.
13. Your favourite quote about perfume? 'When we talk about Belle Parfumerie, it does not always mean natural and raw materials'
You can get the new John Paul Gaultier Essence De Parfum here.