Joop launched his Hamburg based company in 1986. The brand had many collections for men, women and children. Joop was a keen artist, many of his drawings and sculptures have been displayed or sold, so to differentiate the brand he added an exclamation mark at the end. The brand become known for its vast fragrance range which was launched in 1987, followed shortly by Joop! Jeans in 88. In the nineties ‘Joop!’ fragrances were introduced to the American market while its fashion lines were presented in New York Fashion Week.
In 1998 Wolfgang Joop and his estranged business partner sold 95% of their ‘Joop!’ shares to an investor while Joop remained the brands creative director. In 2005 the remaining 5% was sold and he left the company. Joop!’s owners Wunsche AG of Hamberg unfortunately had their own financial difficulties and were unable to turn the brand into a worldwide luxury fashion house like they had planned. They declared bankruptcy in 2001. Now the fragrance and cosmetics licenses are with Coty, the kids wear and Joop! Jeans line were discontinued, and Egana Goldpfeil owns Joops clothing and accessory business. Joop!’s collections are mid-range contemporary pieces and they are still renowned for their fragrances.