Bulgari was founded in 1884. In the early years Bulgari was known for silver pieces that were inspired by Islamic art. At the time Paris was fashion hub influencing many of Bulgari trends, their jewels of the early twenties were platinum art deco whereas in the thirties they featured geometric diamonds and coloured gemstones.
In 1932 Bulgari passed away and left the business to his two sons. The brand earned a reputation amongst the high society and celebrities. Some of their best-known clients included Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn. The post- war boom within fashion saw Bulgari’s new style flourish as they launched the first floral brooches. In 1966 the company was passed down another generation to Gianni, grandson of Sotirios Bulgari. During the seventies Bulgari globally expanded, with Gianni as chairman and CEO they diversified. The company moved into the world of watch making and launched ‘BVLGARI BVLGARI’ in 1977. Their jewels became recognisable for their angular forms, chains, oval elements and predominant use of yellow gold.
In 1993 the brand launched its first fragrance, Eau Parfumee au The Vert and in 1996 the brand launched its first accessory collection beginning with silk scarves before moving on to leather accessories and eyewear. In 2004 Bulgari opened a hotel in Milan, as a result of a joint venture with Luxury Group, a division of Marriot International. Today Bulgari honours its rich past within modern designs. Bulgari celebrated the 130th anniversary of the brand in 2014, architect Pater Marino redesigned the Via Condotti for a grand reopening and the brand donated 1.5m to the city of Rome for the restorations.